Thursday, March 27, 2014:

A mom without an iPhone

As some of you recall, this blog was originally called, "A Mom Without" and celebrated the vast improvements in parenting technologies that have made it SOMEWHAT possible for me to make it through an entire day of SAHMommihood.

In celebration of #TBT, I'd like to take this opportunity to ask the greater audience...  How in THE HELL did moms do this shit without iPhones?  Ok, fine, I've already asked this before.  And quite frankly, I ask myself this question after every filtered instagram picture I post of my kids...  

But SERIOUSLY!?  

Since becoming a mom my priority list looks like this:

iPhone
Kid #1
Kid #2
Husband

Ok, note, this priority list isn't necessarily the list I would follow if I was trying to escape a burning building.  That would look more like this:

Kid #1
Kid #2
Husband
Dog #1*
Dog #2*
iPhone
(*Subject to lowered priority based on the number of times they've peed in the house)

Ok, I digress....

iPhone- From apps to, well, apps...this thing is responsible for helping me cope through my day.   My phone is the first thing I "put on" in the morning.  I honestly plan my wardrobe based on phone storage.  No pockets, no pone.  It's that simple.

Now listen, before you get the idea that I am one of those mom zombies, tech junkies, social media whores, people obsessed with their phones, let me promise you, that all in, I am probably on my phone for about an hour all day.  But this is what it does for me...

It connects me.

I work in a role that is, um, let me see, like living in a vacuum with a bunch tiny little drunk people whose main priority is to hurt themselves and/or others all while making a huge ass mess in the process.  This. is. my. life.

So for the :12 seconds here and the :30 seconds there and the glorious 8 minutes during a pre-nap feeding, I am keeping my sanity by reminding myself that beyond the confines of SAHMommihood, there is more to life than really great nursing shirts with deep pockets.


Share to Facebook Email This Share to Twitter Pin This Share to Linked In

No comments:

Post a Comment