Monday, April 21, 2014:

It's Almost Summer!!

I am so looking forward to pool days!!  I just want to load up our pool bag with swim diapers, towels, and lunch- everything we need to make it through our morning and then it's home...just in time for naps!!

It should come as no surprise that I'm somewhat of a modern day sun worshiper in that I love to relax in the rays- so long as I'm covered head to toe in SPF 50+ and SPF qualified pool wear!

Here's what you can find in our pool bag this summer...

For Me:
Ray Bans- love these!  They are sporty yet stylish and cover a good portion of my face.  The fact that they are polarized is essential for my light eyes (ok, maybe I made this up but somewhere I've read light eyes are more sensitive to sun...I'm going with it).

Face sunscreen- This does the trick!  I'm outside a lot with the kids and to save them the embarrassment from there mom creeping around in the shadows, I opt, in stead, for frequent reapplication of this sunscreen.  I actually have a problem because when I see sunscreen at the stores, I almost always have to buy it.  You know....for the car....stroller...purse....

Hat- So, I am slightly obsesses with this brand, Coolibar.  You'll noticed that they have a very big presence in our pool bag.  Mostly because, well, they get it! "It" being the fact that not only does the sun damage in ways that make us age and wrinkle, but, way more importantly, over exposure to sun can cause pre-cancerous and cancerous skin conditions.  I am definitely the one who rocks an oversized hat when I plan on being outside for an extended period of time and this happens to be one of my favs.

Rash guard for moi- Ok, full disclosure, this rash guard serves two purposes.  1. Protects my shoulders from damaging effects of the sun's rays and 2. Protects innocent pool patrons from damaging effects of my "I had two kids really close together and the stretch marks to prove it" belly.

Body sunscreen- This one does the trick.  I like the way it smells and I can throw it on after slathering up the kiddos!

For Kids:
Ok, so for the kids, I'm essentially buying out all age-approriate goods from Coolibar. So maybe my kids are going to look a little crazy at the pool when they are covered head-to-toe in this but until they have the capacity to care what they look like, I plan on getting away with full body coverage and protection!!

Hats- I have a few of these :) And I also like this pool-friendly cap.  Coolibar hats have the longer brims that provide more shading and sun protection.

Sunglasses- still working on this.  I have a toddler who kind of gets the "cool" sunglass look but I don't think he gets that they are actually to shade his eyes from the sun.  I am also in the market for a pair for our 10 month old.  I will be doing some research on the topic :)

Swim Suits- for my one year old, as mentioned, I will be opting for something like this.  If I can some how squeeze my 2.5 year old into the 18 month version I bought last year, I will certainly go with it.  Otherwise, I'll go with just a long sleeve rash guard and shorts!


Share to Facebook Email This Share to Twitter Pin This Share to Linked In

2 comments

  1. I bought those rompers from Coolibar too! Except, in an effort to be frugal, I bought one size to big hoping to get 2 summers out of them, and they are HUGE. Oops. So maybe they will fit next summer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was able to get two years out of the romper! It turned into more of a capri romper vs. full coverage but it did the trick!! I love them!

    ReplyDelete