My husband just spent a week at home with all of us for the holidays and I feel like this extended family time in our natural habitat has helped him to appreciate functional organization!
After doing some research I came across this IKEA hack and fell in love! Often the queen of Pinterest Fails, I was pleasantly surprised at how well this came together!!! Thanks Mommy Vignettes for the brilliant idea and easy-to-follow tutorial!
To show you how easy this really was, here's a look at how we tackled this DIY!
What You Need:
What You Need:
- Kallax- IKEA. One tall book shelf/bench and two square end shelving units
- MDF board- Home Depot. Cut to size for free (approx $10)
- Cushion Foam-Walmart (This was the priciest piece at $16 for a 2'x3' piece. We made three benches and bought four foam cushions and just jimmied around the cut outs to cover the bench. Get foam that is at least 3" high)
- Batting- Walmart
- Fabric- IKEA (Hack alert- while in IKEA we found a table cloth that we liked for the benches. Org. $18.99 on sale for $6.99. One table cloth was enough for two benches- with leftovers- hmm...pillows?)
- Staple Gun
- Hammer (we needed this in order to tap in the staples that were sitting a little high in the MDF)
- Bread knife (for cutting foam)
|Francois aligning foam cushion in order to cut to size|
|Batting over the cushion foam with cut outs at right|
|Stapling the batting around the foam and MDF board|
|We cut the table cloth in half and then just lined it up over the batting and foam|
|Mommy Vignettes recommended double folding the fabric before stapling to ensure a more secure hold|