Wednesday, February 26, 2014:

A mom without humility

HUMILITY- ok, so back when I had infinite amounts of spare time and was in a book (booze) club with my girlfriends we read Gretchen Rubin's "The Happiness Project" (translation: back before I had kids when I had the time to read for pleasure and discuss aforementioned reads over copious amounts of wine I read a book that lacked relevancy in my life of leisure and loose responsibility).

Truth is, the booked rubbed me the wrong way.  I'm pretty "type A", so I could understand some challenges of juggling it all, but ultimately, the author seemed "type A" to the annoying extreme ("Splendid Truths", resolution charts...seriously??).  So, being the open-minded, far-sighted, enlightened, young, independent, empathetic, professional I was- the one with no other responsibility than to show up to work in between social obligations with my friends and occasionally doing so while nursing a mild hangover (not a baby)- I wrote a post about how silly this book was (read it here).

Ok, fast forward to now, like, this very second, with an eight month old who is precariously pulling up on a piece of #IKEA furniture that should definitely be nailed to a wall (or at least covered in foam padding) and a toddler who is incessantly repeating in a monotone voice, "mama, I fell", as he choreographs his elaborate stumble over his younger brother's learning walker for the third time.  Here I am, hunched over my iPhone clicking away on this post because I just need something that is my own...

HOLY HELL I GET IT!!  I SURRENDER!  I'M SORRY!! UNCLE!!

As a firm believer in "karmama"(more on that in a future post- but in a nutshell, I judged unfairly and now I'm paying the price!), I honestly feel like I am more acutely aware of just how important my happiness is!  I love my kids and they are my priority- so much so that they come before me (sometimes even before my most basic and essential needs- bathroom breaks, doctors' appts, eating, independence...).  I criticized the authors strategic planning for happiness; her, and I quote, "business-related presentation- using a formulaic strategy that required preparation, forethought, and action."

But I understand now that, as a mom, it is a business I run and if I don't prioritize, if I don't implement a formulaic strategy than I'll be ruined (along with the family and household I run).  If I don't add a bit of forethought- hire a sitter and schedule the cleaners and do things that I know, down the road, will bring me independence and freedom, then I will collapse under the heaviness of SAHM-hood. 

This post serves as an apology to you, Ms. Rubin, and as a reminder to myself to a) don't judge unless I've walked a mile in your shoes (or ratty #Uggs slippers in my case) and b) to find the time to re-read "The Happiness Project" through the lens of my current role, mom, and to brush up on the lessons that you so eloquently and formulaically outlined for us.




Share to Facebook Email This Share to Twitter Pin This Share to Linked In

No comments:

Post a Comment