Thursday, September 18, 2014:

How to Get Your Car Ready for Baby

You've spent months designing the nursery and arranging the furniture.  The house is baby proofed.  Activity mats and toys are assembled.  Everyone is just waiting for the baby's arrival.  Any day now!

But have you thought about how you might "set up" your baby-toting vehicle?

After the car seat has been safely installed, check out these tips below on how to stock the station wagon (or mini-van).


  1. Baby Wipes- keep a container in the glove compartment and another in the trunk.  You can never have too many and they are great for messy road trips and en-route* diaper changes! 
  2. Diapers- Even if you have a stocked diaper bag, it's always a good idea to keep a few spares in the trunk of your car.  
  3. Head Rest Mirror- I didn't think this was important until I took my first road trip alone with my infant.  I'm always one to welcome a car nap, but when you are at the wheel and you can't just turn around to check on him, it can make you a bit crazy.  Having the rearview/headrest reciprocating mirrors helped me stay calm while at the helm.  
  4. Change of Clothes- Always.  ALWAYS. Always.  And it might not be a bad idea to have a change of clothes for yourself, too.  Just this week I have heard of TWO mom's being in a messy situation that required a wardrobe change.  Both commented about how they had extra clothing for their kids, but nothing for themselves.  I keep our spare clothes in a plastic bag (that I can use to hold the messy clothes until they can be washed or, as is often the case, thrown out).
  5. Non-Parishable Snacks- I really don't like to bribe my kids with snacks, but sometimes there is just no way around it.  I try to keep some sweet squeezie packs that I know they like and even some fruit snacks.  If we are going on a road trip, I bring out the big guns and stock pile candy (go ahead, judge me, but remember this conversation when Karmama comes around your way ;).

By "en-route" diaper changes, I mean "the rest stop is too germ-infested for a newborn, I'll just change him on my lap in the parking lot...even if it is a blow out"- been there, done that
Share to Facebook Email This Share to Twitter Pin This Share to Linked In

No comments:

Post a Comment