Thursday, October 23, 2014:

I Get Jealous When My Husband Gets Sick- TRUTH

Let's file this under:

  • Things I never thought about before becoming a mom
  • I am so sorry mom, I should have said "thank you" more often
  • This mom thing is hard
  • No sick days for mom


He's laying there, sick as a dog in fetal position.  Clearly he's contracted the stomach bug that's been picking off my family one. by. one.

When I heard him downstairs coughing at 6am, I admit I sort of hoped that he was debating whether or not to go into the office.

I remained hopeful when I came downstairs and saw that, despite being showered and shaved, he was back in his mesh shorts and wrapped in several blankets.

(Guilt: that strange feeling when you actually wish the stomach bug on your husband after you've been stuck inside all week with a sick toddler, a teething one year old, and rainy weather so you can't even take a walk!).

I quietly whispered, "You know, you might actually have a more peaceful day in the office,"- I was feeling guilty and I just wanted to be honest, but not honest enough that he'd change his mind and head in.  With or without the stomach bug, he was still adult company- still another set of hands.

He laid on the couch, I rocked my sick one year old.  My three year old, who appeared to have recovered, played in the playroom.  This lasted for 20 minutes.

And then I started to get annoyed.  I mean, sure, he's "sick" but is he really THAT sick that he can't unlock the childproof potty for our three year old??  Hmm...

The rain tapered a bit so I brought the boys out for some fresh air.  When they appeared perky we even went for a walk to the library, returning just in time for lunch and a torrential down pour.

My husband, still on the couch, moaned for more water and two Advil, "please".

I sat there, cutting up pieces of banana and hard boiled eggs.  Along with cheddar biscuits that I made in an attempt to feel domestic and nurturing (all of which would go uneaten aside from the pieces I all but forcibly convinced my kids to eat) while my husband continued to shift from feverish to ok- resting relatively comfortably on the couch.

As I slowly began to feel the aches in my lower back, as my shoulders began to stiffen and tighten, and as I swallowed away the scratchiness in my throat, all I could think about was how lucky my husband is to be able to lay there, on the couch, admittedly surrounded by chaos, but still able to rest.

I'll be sick tomorrow.  No one will get me two Advil and more water.  My one year old will still ask me to rock him if he's sick (or to chase him if he's feeling better).  My three year old will ask why we can't go to Toddler Time at the Y.  The dogs will still need to be let out.  And then in.  And then out again.

Is it really possible that I'm jealous of my sick husband?!

The struggle is real, my friends.  The struggle.is.real.

RELATED: Why it's so important to have the baby sitter on speed dial

Editor's Note:  I'm just not really loving my tone here.  I kind of sound ungrateful and whiney (which is ok sometimes).  I'm glad I am able to take care of my family.  I'm lucky to have that opportunity.  I am, however, feeling prickly about getting sick and having to get my own Advil!

Share to Facebook Email This Share to Twitter Pin This Share to Linked In

No comments:

Post a Comment